Wednesday, January 18, 2012

You've gotta try this!

After 10 years of being together and six years of being married, I have finally found the way to Chet's heart......homemade chicken and noodles!

Chicken and noodles is one of my favorite meals! My grandma used to make everything from scratch, and it was amazing! My parents make it every year around Thanksgiving/Christmas per my request :) I have always wanted my own recipe. I have a crockpot recipe that's ok, but finally I have a simple recipe that I love and would even make it for my parents instead of them making it for me! This recipe came from our family meal planner book, but I like to put my own twist on things!

You need two cups of cooked chicken. My parents always boil a whole chicken when they make it, but I prefer just using chicken breasts. I use three chicken breasts (I honestly don't know if that equals two cups or not, it's just the amount I use).

If your chicken is thawed, you only need to boil for 20 minutes, but I usually throw them in frozen, so I let them boil for around 40 minutes.


Wooden spoon trick :)

Chet loves mashed potatoes with this, so while your chicken is cooking, I recommend peel your potatoes....



Also, get your veggies ready.....



And most importantly, pour yourself a cocktail.....makes cooking so much better! Totally off subject, but why does pre-dinner time have to be the craziest time of the day? My kids are totally out of control and always needing something during this time....ugh! My neighbor calls it the 4:00 crazies, and I totally agree with her!


In case you were wondering, it's vodka and monster.

Once chicken is cooked, shred/cut.....



Then in a big pot, mix three cans of chicken broth, one can of water, cooked chicken, veggies, salt, and pepper. The first time I made this, I worried about it being too bland, so I also added a chicken bouillon cube. Let this all come to a boil.



Then add frozen noodles.....



Let that all come to a boil again, then let simmer for around 20 minutes. While all that's going on, I boil and mash the potatoes. And also feed a really cute baby :)



I like to keep stirring it while it simmers and I also gauge if it needs more water, which I usually add an extra 1/3-1/2 cup and also one more bouillon cube. Oh yeah, and a dash of season salt :)

Then, while it continues to simmer, you sip on your cocktail and let the baby entertain herself with a wash cloth.



20 minutes later, when the noodles are soft, it's ready! And it's delish!



And it makes a ton, which means leftovers!

So, go make some! I know you want to! And be sure to tell me how yours turns out! Or better yet, let me know it's a way to your man's heart ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment