Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day

Every Memorial Day weekend my parents head out to Lindsborg and Roxbury cemeteries. I'm sure I was reluctant to go when I was younger, but now it's a tradition I love. And to think that Reese and Cru are now part of the tradition makes it even more special.



First, we went to Lindsborg where my Grandpa Joe is buried (my mom's dad).





Reese was a little upset she couldn't pick flowers that were on the graves, but luckily she found some stragglers in the grass.



Reese was playing around the headstone, and my mom kept telling her, "Great grandpa is right in front of you." Finally, Reese was like, "Where? I don't see him!"



Next, we headed to Roxbury, my dad's hometown and where ALL the Reese relatives are buried.

But before heading to the cemetery, we always take a tour (all these pictures were taken while driving on the gravel roads so I apologize for the poor quality). Yes, you can tour Roxbury. It only takes about 2 minutes. Ha! My dad always enjoys telling us who lives where and where him and his friends use to play, and he even showed us where they use to sneak off to smoke cigarettes when they were in grade school!

This shed is actually someone's house! It's one of the first things you see when driving into town. If you blink, you'll probably miss it. I wish I could have gotten a picture of it as we were driving out of town, but my camera died.



Here is the tornado shelter my dad and his family would go to. Although, it's a small town, it's not near their house, so I don't know if they drove over there or what....probably just as fast to run.



The town's church.



Look, a Mercedes!



This house is next door to where my Grandma and Grandpa lived. The old man who used to live there use to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid.



Here is my Grandma and Grandpa's house. My parent's and I can't remember when I started coming out to Roxbury to stay with my grandparents, but I know I was young, and I was out here all the time! I have so many great memories with them.



This next house was my parent's first house. I think they said they lived there a month.



The gas station.



And finally, the school.



My camera died before I could get a picture of the cafe my grandparents use to run - B & B Cafe.
The Reese name is all over Roxbury's cemetery. I think Reese thought it was pretty cool. My dad's immediate and most of his extended family are all in one area of the cemetery.

My dad, Chet, and Reese working away on my dad's sister, brother-in-law, mom, and dad's graves.



Chet has been coming with us since we started dating almost 9 years ago. He has never once complained about it.





Reese, these people are the reason your name is so special. They would love you! (and of course Cru too)



Cru had no problem keeping himself entertained.







My dad has always shared that when he was a kid, Memorial Day weekend festivities began Friday night and didn't stop until Monday night. We aren't there yet, but we're on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment