Saturday, May 15, 2010

All Schools Day festivities = picture overload

Friday was the 97th year for McPherson's All Schools Day. I remember when I was a kid, I couldn't wait for the parade. We'd go early and set up our chairs with my Grandma and Grandpa Reese, then my gymnastics team would perform in the middle of main street before the parade started. During those years, my mom taught school in Galva, and she always rode on a float.....does anyone else from McPherson remember when there use to be a ton of floats instead of a ton of bands? I miss that.

Now that I'm older, my May Day parade excitement stems from my kids' excitement.....wonder if that's how my parents felt year after year with my brother and I?

We set up shop in the entry way of Dirt Cheap. May not have been front row, but they were perfect seats for us - a place for Reese and Cru to dance and run around without being in the way.



Reese visited some of her friends before the parade started - Reese, Mallorie, and Carter. The night before, they kept telling each other, "Meetcha at the parade!"



The parade finally started, and Reese was on the look out for Aunt Casyn.



Her and her doubles partner were in the parade for winning state tennis.



Besides seeing Aunt Casyn, this was definitely Reese's favorite! She watched them all the way down the block, and would yell out whenever she'd see a new character pop out the window.



To be honest, we really didn't do a whole lot of watching and waving this year.



The kids had more fun eating



and throwing funnel cake,



hangin' with family,









being silly,



and dreaming of riding on a float some day.



All during the parade, Reese kept asking where the camels were at. She's been anxiously waiting to ride a camel like she did last year.

Although I was willing, I wasn't exactly thrilled about riding a camel again, so maybe I kinda sorta did some convincing before we got there that she was a big girl and could ride the camel all by herself. Boy, was she pumped.



However, when it actually came time to ride, she freaked. And guess what happened.



You know, you do whatcha gotta do.



Of course, she wanted to ride again. Not by herself, of course. Looked who stepped up this time!



Way to go, Grandma!

After blowing 20 bucks on camels rides, we headed to the petting zoo.







And to top it all off, Reese ran into her special buddy, Carter, before heading home.



Without hesitation, they quickly ran off to play and could have cared less about anything else.



Reese must have told him how fun the camel ride was because once they finally said their good-byes, look where we found him!



Sometimes it feels more like a hassel taking the kids to the parade and participating in some of the festivites, but to see their smiles and hear Reese talk about all the fun she had, it makes it all worth it. Good times this year, good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment